#HKMTogetherTomorrow: Four tips to keep your bras pretty
With our wear, care and repair tips it’s easy for you to make a difference. Help us save the planet, make your clothes and lingerie last longer and donate to help others. Let us know how you get on by sharing on Instagram using #HKMTogetherTomorrow. From dealing with stains in an instant to using nail varnish to fix those hosiery holes, we’ve got you covered.
We all have them, favourite lingerie sets that we love to wear every day. Here’s four tips on how to keep your bras beautiful!
- KNOW YOUR LABELS
If you look at laundry symbols on your most loved fashion items and feel total confusion, you’re not alone. Avoid guessing and hoping for the best! Getting to know wash and care symbols can keep your favourites looking good for longer – and save you time and money. Read those little labels in your garments to make sure you wash the right way and at the right temperature. Remember, every item is different; from bras to slips and boots to whips! We know labels can look confusing but two key points to note are:
- A line under a symbol indicates how delicate a garment is
- The more points there are, the hotter you can go!
- IF YOU CAN, ALWAYS HAND WASH
It’s not scary – we promise. Hand washing can save water and energy (and money!) Bras love to be washed by hand, so using this gentler method will help preserve your bras and make them last longer too.
You’ll need a sink/tub/bucket filled with lukewarm water and a mild detergent.
How to hand wash:
- Sort your faves into colours and read the garment label(s).
- Fill the sink (or whatever you use) with lukewarm water (or a different temperature if stated on the garment label) and add a little mild, eco-friendly detergent.
- Wash your clothes by hand and let them soak in the sink for 20 minutes, then rinse with clean water.
- Dry them on the line. The best way to dry bras is by hanging them with the centre front join resting on the line – the point between the two cups.
- TURN TO 30
Too busy to hand wash? Always take time to separate your colours: we’d hate for you to turn your favourite white set grey by washing it with your darks. Another great tip when using a washing machine is putting your bras in laundry wash bags, this will stop them getting tangled and protect them.
Wash cold and be chilled! Did you know that many modern washing powders and detergents are now able to clean clothes effectively at lower temperatures? Choosing a washing cycle at 30c saves energy but still gets clothes clean.
- PUT YOUR UNDERWIRES BACK IN
Oops! Maybe you forgot to put your bra in a washing bag while machine-washing it. Doing this repeatedly might cause the underwire of the bra to be damaged or to poke out. Here’s how to fix it and you’ll need some medical tape.
- Put a little piece of medical tape on the end of the jumped out wire; this will prevent it poking through the material again.
- Pop the wire back in the bra.
- Put the sticky medical tape on the hole where the wire initially popped out and you’re done!
For a longer-term solution sew up the hole after pushing the wire back in, and if it’s really time for a new one – https://www.hunkemoller.co.uk/bras/all-bras 😉